Monday, October 12, 2009

Finding Happiness

"Having an understanding of who we are is of first importance, and without it we lack the basis of a solid foundation upon which to build our lives."



* I think we all have occasion at some point in our lives to ask the question why am I here? Do I have a purpose to fulfill or was I born for this short time only to die and pass on? I know this question hit hard for me during a rough period of my life. I was 17 and going through a lot of life changing experiences. I was struggling, and even started to wonder if I was of any help to anyone, or merely a bother. I came to the point where I started to occupy a lot of my time wondering if there was something more to life than what I was experiencing.

As I went through the day trying to find things to fill an empty hole which I had in my soul, my efforts seemed to bring little success. This emptiness resulted in feelings of hopelessness and despair which I did not understand the reason for until shortly thereafter. I often felt that it was easier to just pull the sheets over my head and sleep rather than to face this never ending feeling of emptiness. I felt worthless and my attempts to find happiness seemed to avail nothing. I searched for something that would bring me peace, however I found nothing that could take away these depressing feelings.

I had one option which I didn't fully know at the time would effect my life so profoundly. Prayer would change my life forever. My parents growing up had taught us at a young age to pray. I had had occasion to see the benefits of this firsthand as a child, but the memories and experiences had dimmed over time to the point where I had almost forgotten them completely. I was taught that there was in fact a God who hears and answers our prayers. A supreme being who governs all that we see, and who has the answers to all of life's great questions. Someone who sincerely cares about our well-being and wants us to succeed and be happy.

At this point in my life I was humbled enough to once again pray. My burdens and hardships had brought me low, and I could not go any further on my own. Was it true that someone really had the answer to why I am here? That he could help me find my purpose in the whole scheme of things? As my plea cry for help was made, I received a feeling that I couldn't brush off as one merely made up subconsciously to answer my own question. This feeling was one I couldn't, nor can to this day describe in words alone. God had answered my prayer by assuring me that the things which I had been taught by my parents were true. At this point I knew it, and later experiences would confirm this to the point where I could not deny them.

I have had many experiences following this one where I have come to know for myself that there is a god, and that we do have purpose in life. He wants us to be happy, to be successful, and to find out for ourselves that all this is true. He is not going to force this knowledge on us, but instead is standing there with open arms ready receive us when we are ready to make an effort to sincerely seek him.

I can't help myself but to share this knowledge this understanding of who I am with everyone who will listen. Something inside me jumps every time I have the chance to tell it, because I want everyone to experience firsthand the joy and happiness that it brings to know who you are.

I just wanted to share this, and invite anyone who reads this if they haven't already to find your purpose in life. Come to know for yourselves that there is more to life than just this short time that we live and die. There are answers, and I challenge you to sincerely search for them. I would be more than happy to talk more in depth with anyone who wants to. I just want to help in some small way to share with others this joy that life is full of.

If you want to contact me, my email address is: jared.r.barker@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment